Re: Ictio, help!

"Jones, Erick" wrote:

> Mike
> Its been my personal observation that rams seem terribly "delicate" most of
> the time. Would that be because I'm keeping them at temp's to far below what
> they prefer? I usually run my tanks around 76-80 f. And since I'm
> considering trying them again what would be a good temp for them? Thanks

Erik,

Rams are a fish that inhabits savanna pools in the wild. Since there is so little
shade, the water often reaches into the mid-90ºF (mid-30ºC) temperature range.
Like discus they prefer their water warm. I would never keep them below 85ºF
(30ºC) for any length of time if I could help it.

>  As far as the Ich goes I long ago gave up medicating it. I found that
> raising the temp doing daily water changes and cutting off all light to the
> tank for a week clears it faster and more effectively than anything else
> I've come across. Plus I don't have any problems with the more medication
> sensitive species.

This isn't a bad way as long as the fish can handle higher temperatures. The
temperature ideally should be above 85ºF (30ºC), with frequent water changes, and
increased aeration. If your fish can't handle high temperatures (e.g. goldfish,
madtoms, etc.) then you are going to have to medicate them. I have heard of some
success using a diatom filter running continuously for a week. The theory is that
the Ich parasite is strained out of the water faster than it can infect any fish.

Mike Wise