re: Microgeophagus ramirezi

Earlier there was a thread about the proper conditions for keeping (blue)
rams.  The temperatures quoted were quite high (86 degrees fahrenheit and
plus) because their sites of origin are small pools, unshaded, and hence the
water temperatures can be as high as 90.

There have also been people posting that they have trouble keeping their
rams healthy and alive.  The advice, generally, has been to raise the water
temperature so they'll be more comfortable.

Maybe I've just been fortunate, but I've kept my rams at 80 degrees from
when I purchased them.  I've had to separate the male from the female
because of post-spawning aggression (during spawning I did raise the temp to
84, but the eggs never hatched.  I don't really care one way or the other.
Bonus if I get fry, shrug the shoulders if I don't.  Maybe he's a 'Duddley'.
They did eat their fungused eggs, but not with any relish.  More like it was
a chore expected of them.)  Neither of the fish has ever experienced any
problems with ick.  In fact, the male is in a tankful of guppies (which
should be kept at about 76 degrees F so they are in water that is somewhat
too warm for them).

They are kept in clean water, (twice weekly 75 percent water changes) at pH
7, and are fed exclusively on brine shrimp and bloodworms.  I wish the male
would be more successful at getting some live food into him (i.e. baby
guppies) but he's not the best hunter, that's for sure.  (Anybody want
guppies? :) ) He has grown into an absolutely beautiful specimen and
exercises all day long chasing guppies.  (I wish I could afford a digital
camera at times like these. :( )

These two fish have been transfered from tank to tank since I've owned them.
The male definitely got used to his 'conjugal' visits.  +ACI-Ah, the net.  Must
mean it's time for nookie.  Hoist me up.+ACI-  So I don't understand why these
fish have a reputation for being delicate.  If anything, mine have proved to
be as robust as blue gouramis.

What could be the cause of the many problems that are being reported by
various people on this list?  I've detailed the conditions under which I
keep the fish.  I purchased them from a full shipment, but waited until they
had been in the store for a week.  Also I picked out the absolutely
'bitchiest' most aggressive female.  Is it possible that, although the
temperature is lower (planted tanks, lots of duckweed and watersprite too)
than 'ideal' that there are other factors which can be attributed to their
apparent health?  Could anything I have contributed in this posting assist
others in having a more positive, less stressful, time of keeping these
fish?

G. Kadar