Re: Microgeophagus ramirezi

Geraldine,

Most animals have preferred environmental conditions but can survive in less
preferred ones if basically healthy.  I think the problem with most Rams is that
they are mass bred by commercial breeders who don't do a lot of selective breeding
for anything but size and color. Many treat their young Rams with hormones to
increase their color and have them swimming in antibiotic soups to prevent
infections from running wild in mass grow-out tanks. All of these have weakened the
fish over time. These weaker fish need optimal conditions to survive. Of course
some fish will be stronger than others. These are usually the largest and/or
'bitchiest' fish in a group. Good healthy Rams are tough little fish and can handle
temperatures for long periods of time into the low 20º's C (low 70º's F) (I'll be
glad when the U.S. converts to metric so I won't have to convert everything - yeah,
I know, fat chance.). Rams were the first dwarfs I ever kept. I was given them
because they wouldn't eat for their owner. No, it wasn't the low temperatures. They
were in a community tank of Melanochromis auratus and Pseudotropheus zebra! I put
them in a tank with small tetras and they ate like pigs. The temperature was around
72-75ºF (22-24ºC) and they lived for a couple of years.

So the answer is you had good healthy fish to start with. Enjoy them!

Mike Wise