long gone apistos Re:

since we are reminiscing of apistos past...- when I was in high school I
used to work for a tropical fish store and take weekly trips to the
wholesaler to pick up new stock- next to dipnetting the Amazon- the funnest
place to explore for apistos. Periodically, they'd get in blue tetras from
Colombia- and once three emaciated macmasteri group fish were found
cowering in the corners of the bare tank. I took those home and reared them
up to size- developing into an amazing strain of A. macmasteri- very large,
beautiful male with a striking red head, yellow wedge caudal with the top
and bottom edges trimmed in red. They may have been viejita I'm not sure-
when Brian Wolinski came over to see them he said they were the best
macmasteri he'd ever seen...now that was a fish.

                              Steven J. Waldron

                             http://WWW.ANURA.ORG
               "Natural History, Captive Husbandry, Conservation and
                           Biophilia of Tropical Frogs"