Re: species, subspecies, strains, populations, races etc.

In a message dated 11/23/1999 2:24:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
apistowise@bewellnet.com writes:

> Ah, you found the problem. It really is them darn taxonomists messing with
> Mother Nature. Let's face it, usually species are isolated from other
closely
> related species. If not, it is unlikely that they would become
reproductively
> separate species in the first place. If species A & B (as identified by
taxonomists)
> have the same (or nearly the same) genetic make up and can readily
interbreed
> with each other, then it would be hard to claim that they are not the same
> species. If they cannot, which intermediates belong with which species?
Those that
> cannot interbreed with Sp.A but can with Sp.B would be considered
populations of Sp.
> B and visa versa.

ok, mike, but in the example above, are there apisto populations for example
in which you would have the intermediate populations that can breed (to
degrees) to either A or B, but A and B cannot with each other?  is this
possible?

> It's all systematics, after all. Whether you call it a
> species, subspecies or a population doesn't matter to the fish as long as
they can
> produce healthy offspring. Good old Mother Nature doesn't care one bit
about what is
> or is not a species - only humans feel the need to "cubby hole" everything
into
> neat little boxes. As long as we all know what we are talking about, it
doesn't
> really matter what name you use.

lot of people think in terms of breeding barriers as defining species.
however, tigers and lions can breed with each other, yet they are not the
same species, right?  so the ability to make viable offspring doesn't
necessarily make them members of the same species.

on the other hand, there are lots of livebearers, i believe, that are capable
of interbreeding but do not.  i think derek lambert once reported that there
are several different molly (Poecilia) [and also swordtails (Xiphophorus)]
species that inhabit the same waters and do not interbreed, but in captivity
they can, if there's no mate choice.

on humans:
>  It has been tried with genetic material recently. The results were very
> weird to say the least. It seems that no matter what racial or ethnic make
up we have,
>  we are all identical genetics-wise. We all have the same mitochondrial DNA
in
> us, meaning we all have the same great-great- great- ... great grandmother
> somewhere back around 200,000 year ago (I guess there was an Eve).

i believe there is a skeleton found in ethiopia that has been dubbed that, as
it is older than lucy and i think they sort of traced all human DNA or
ancestry back to that population to which she belonged.

> There are people
> living in a small part of Mali, however, that show a minutely greater, but
> significant, divergence from all other peoples of the world. The weird part
of the study
> was that it was found that these people also had greater divergence in
their DNA
>  within their community than is found when comparing all of the people in
the
> rest of the world. Geneticists have no idea why this one small area has
more
> genetic variation than is seen in all of the rest of the world.

that's what i read about humans.  depending on which criteria used,
genetically one "race" would include scandinavians, some asian groups, some
african groups, all of these people apart from others.  there's so much we
don't know about ourselves that it's not possible aparently to neatly
classify us all.  which makes the census forms or all other ethnological
divisions quite irrational.  at one point, people from india were classified
as caucasians in the u.s., now they are lumped under "asian."  but they don't
necessarily see themselves as either.  and people differ so much within india
anyway.

>  I hope not. I like to think that everyone out there is part of my family.

sorry, mike, but there are some relatives i'd wish were not part of MY
family... :-)

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA