Re: En: species, subspecies, strains, populations, races etc.

Scot,

I know of no one doing DNA work on apistos. Kullander had a graduate student
considering this project about 5 years ago, but apparently it didn't happen. The
major problem is supplying the needed material. From what I understand it would
require going to the type localities to collect new material. This is because
most type material is either too old to retrieve reliable DNA or was fixed in
formalin before being preserve in ethanol. It seems that formalin destroys DNA
for research purposes. Then think of the number of DNA tests that would be
needed. Koslowski presently recognizes over 150 different species. Add to this
the many different color forms or populations of these species and you can see
the process would be very expensive. If this is ever started, I'd expect that it
would be done only on a single species-group at a time. Right now the scientific
community doesn't see a lot of need to do such work on such a large (number-wise)
genus. If anything such work would be done on "end-species" that show links to
other fish genera (steindachneri-group to Gymnogeophagus, A. elizabethae to A.
(Taeniacara) candidi and commbrae-group species to A. (Apistogrammoides)
pucallpaensis). If I had a voice in it, I'd suggest trying to find the links
between the personata-, trifasciata- and cacatuoides-groups/complexs.

Mike Wise