freezer fish :was Re: Nannochromis tranvestitus

I would not take a chance on breeding an 'accordion' transvestitus,
since it seems a common phenomenon with the species. That being said, we
shouldn't be too dramatic. If they spawn, just don't raise the young.
Lilia may actually like the fish, after all.
Incidentally, not all fish spinal deformities are genetic. I once found
a female killie in an unused tank - she had raised herself on whatever
was in there. having no females of the species left, I took a chance on
her minor spinal deformity, with the resolution not to distribute the
fish. In two following generations, I saw no more deformities. I assume
it was environmental.
Similar problems can happen with poorly raised delicate cichlids in
rarely changed water.
Gary
BTW - tank raised dwarfs are often siblings, especially with a rarity
like transvestitus. I take it the  recessive gene's probably there in
the healthy looking fish too.