Re: leaf litter wonders

Gary,
I couldn't get oak leaves but did manage to acquire beech leaves which
serves the same purpose in a tank. My 36" tank I housed Taeniacara candidi,
the floor of this tank was 'littered' with the leaves.  This gave great
security for the fish and their fry.  The leaves plus bogwood makes a very
'natural' looking habitat, the dwarfs love it.
Helen

> I have a killie-like story about some apistos. About 2 months ago, I set
> up a 30 inch 23 gallon tank for two species of apisto, as I had a
> temporary overcrowding problem. To manage any aggro, I threw in some of
> my dried oak leaves, from the secret stock in the bag under the njisseni
> tank. I had cf juruense and cf gibbiceps in there, a pair of each. The
> gibbs started to beat up on the juruense, so after two weeks of their
> having been together, I moved the gibbs to a larger tank. The female
> juruense died of injuries, and I left the spectacular male on his own
> with 5 N beckfordi pencils for a month, til I got a new female today.
> After I put her in, I suddenly saw a gaggle of half a dozen juvenile cf.
> gibbiceps come cruising out, healthy, happy and hefty. I guess they were
> easier to breed than I thought...
> It says something for a leafy habitat though.
> Gary

Archives"!