RE: Strange looking fish

Here is info from my Axelrod Handbook

" Black-spot Disease(Diplostomiasis)

In fishes with little pigment, the spots may be brownish instead of black.
The spots contain a light-colored cyst of binding tissue in which a slowly
moving worm lies rolled up. The cyst is surrounded by an accumulation of
pigment cells, which causes the black spot to be seen from the outside.
The worm in the cyst is a larvae stage of a sucking worm, known as
Neodiplostomum cuticola. The adult parasite lives in the intestines of water
birds. The eggs reach the water with the excreta of the bird, where they
hatch. A further part of their life cycle takes place in aquatic snails. The
parasites then infect fish. If an infected fish is eaten by a water bird,
the larvae penetrate into its intestine and the cycle starts anew.
As the life cycle of the parasites rely on aquatic snails, the absence of
snails from tanks and ponds removes the possibility of black spot disease
occurring in fishes. All species of Limnea must be suspected in cases of
infection. There is, of course, always the possibility of fish being
introduced to new quarters after it has been infected; in this instance the
disease may manifest itself after a short time even though snails are
absent.

TREATMENT

Picric Acid. Stock solution: 1 gram in 100ml water. For use: 7 to 24 ml per
gallon or 2 to 7 ml per liter. Fishes are bathed in this for about ONE HOUR,
unless they show signs of distress, when they must be removed from the bath
at once.""

I hope this helps.
Phil