Re: AGA CONTEST - Digest V1 #115

>1. This is going to be an Aquascaping Competition, open to aquarists
>everywhere.

I agree.

>2. The scope of the contest is the Planted Freshwater Aquarium. [this
>automatically rules out Marine Reef Tanks, and I suggest that pretty photos
>of backyard Ponds also be ruled out as the focus is Aquascaping, not
>necessarily Photography. But I'm open to discussion on this latter point,
>should anyone have something to say.]

No ponds... different animal altogether.

>3. Submissions should be acceptable in as many formats as is possible to be
>inclusive of as many people as possible. This will mean that we will accept
>hard copy photographs, in various sizes; transparencies (of whatever size
>and format Erik and/or others are capable of handling); as well as
>electronic images.

Ok. Though I don't think it's too much to ask for submissions
electronically. Almost everyone knows some relative or friend who could
scan and send images for them.. or could get it done commercally... but if
we have to take photos.. well we have to.

>4. Notice is to be made that images may be adjusted for colour, contrast and
>brightness, but that "altered" or "doctored" images will be automatically
>rejected [the decision will rest with the Judges and/or Erik, who has the
>experience to tell the difference].

We can scare the inexperienced by claiming this can be detected but experts
will know that it can't be. I have had the thought that *perhaps* this
would encourage the jokers who like to "fool" the world. You know... they'd
take it as a challenge. Maybe? Would it be best not to mention it at all?
Obviously we want pictures of "real" aquariums.

>5. All submissions are non-returnable - so we will have to inform people to
>only submit copies of their originals or accept the fact that they aren't
>going to be getting the originals back.

Absolutely.

>6. All submissions shall become the property of the AGA [again, should the
>AGA accept the proposal] and that body has the right to publish any or all
>entries in any format they see fit [electronic, on the WWW at the AGA
>web-site; CD-ROM, which will be sold; in print either in TAG, the AGA
>publication, or in any othe print publication (e.g. AFM, AJ, etc.)] to
>promote either the contest or the AGA. Any published photographs will list
>the name of the aquascaper/photographer in a credit line - but no other form
>of payment will be made.

Fine with me. Perhaps worth checking with a legal type person.

>7. Erik may publish all entries on the AGA web-site.

I hope so!

>8. We need a "point of contact" for the contest, possibly multiple "points
>of contact" - one for information only, another for either information
>and/or submission of entries. As it appears that Erik is the one with the
>ability to handle the scanning of both prints AND slides, I suggest that he
>would be the logical point for "Submission of Entries". I can handle any
>electronic requests for information (e-mail).

This sounds good. Two contacts is probably enough.

Olga
in Vancouver