Re: Common Goals II

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, James Purchase wrote:

> 1. While the word I initially used on the APD to describe what we are here
> for was "contest", what I really had in mind, and what I sense a lot of you
> favoured, was more of a "showcase" of the "state of aquascaping as it exists
> today in various parts of the world". Now, this concept is large enough to
> encompass aspects of both "showcase" AND "contest", but the prime purpose of
> the event is the "showcase".
>
> Am I wrong in thinking this? Yes or no? If no, what _alternative_ vision do
> _you_ have to offer / put forward for the group's consideration?

My frame of mind: showcase primarily, contest secondarily.

> 2.
> What is the common concencus here on HOW we define the term "aquascape"? Do
> we accept the "Webster's" or "Oxford English Dictionary" version of the
> term, or does our "inclusion" policy have its limits? Are we ONLY open to
> underwater gardens full of living plants?

Two parts to my answer:

Though I think we all were *thinking* of real live "true aquatic" plants
and natural scenes with no evil plastic castles, the discussion has shown
by examples from several, that it is impractical to put limits on at least
some of these items ("no plastic items", "true aquatic", "natural
scenery").  I beleive there should be NO limits regarding these items.

I do think there are some minimum REQUIREMENTS though that are quite
tangible.  there must be water (duh).  freshwater (brackish seems ok to
me, but not marine).  and it's an aquarium, not a pond.  Every aquarium,
through its algae growth, contains some live plant matter, so I don't
think we need to list that as a requirement! :)

> PLEASE help in deciding these two issues. I don't wish to hear snide remarks
> or off topic points being discussed right now. I am taking this effort very
> seriously and want this to be a success.

I'll kick out an extra digest right now so that everyone will be up to
date at your message.