RE: Common Goals II

James wrote:>>1. While the word I initially used on the APD to describe what
we are here
for was "contest", what I really had in mind, and what I sense a lot of you
favoured, was more of a "showcase" of the "state of aquascaping as it exists
today in various parts of the world". Now, this concept is large enough to
encompass aspects of both "showcase" AND "contest", but the prime purpose of
the event is the "showcase".

Am I wrong in thinking this? <<

Yes, let people send in any damned thing they want. We will showcase it on
the website.  Plus, there will be a competition that will be judged by a
group of people who will decide what THEY consider to be the best EXAMPLES
of current aquascaping. Prizes would be nice, but recognition would be more
than enough to get an acceptable number of entrants.

2. Inclusion is a word you have read quite often in my posts here. Karen
stressed the point that we _must_ include those members of the AGA who are
not Internet capable in this event. A lot of discussion has occured over
whether or not our use of the term "aquascape" is limited to "our"
definition, as "aquatic gardeners", of that word, or is this event to be
open to "other" definitions/visions as well.

I would like to think that  the AGA will be with us regardless of what is
included in this showcase.  If the judges just happened to think that a
plastic showcase is the best example of current aquascaping  (highly
unlikely), then I think it might possibly be an eye-opener for them (us).
They (we) could learn from this thing too.  I say include all, emphasize
some.

Ken Guin
Former AGA member (soon-to-be again)