Teacher smacking you???

Whoa, Steve. sorry if you feel initmidated. There is an awful lot of
material here to digest, and I know that perhaps not everyone is capable or
willing to devote as much time and energy to this right now as I have. I'm
not asking you to. I also realize that sometimes my tone can sound a bit
harsh. I have a number of personality defects that I am only too aware of -
I'm not the most tackful person in the world, and I lack patience. But I'm
just as hard on myself as I am on anybody else.

Now, to discuss briefly the issue of democracy. This isn't a democracy. I
never said that it would be. I invited people here to discuss organizing an
big event. If a concencus can't be reached or one is reached which runs
counter to something I can agree with, I reserve the right to over rule it.
This started out as MY suggestion and you were INVITED to help. And someone
has to be in charge. If anyone wishes to BE that person, in my stead - I
suggest you form your own group.

But at this point in time I find that the group's discussion have not only
expanded my understanding of the issues which brought us together, it has
changed them as well.

I have had several e-mail messages from people, both publicly and privatly
urging me to excercise leaderhip and make some decisions - one went so far
as to suggest that I decide it all and then present it to the group and we
move forward to implement it as he was tired of the discussion.

That isn't my style - I prefer to allow people to discuss things and I make
every effort to get people to look at issues through the eyes of others and
to consider their opinions and preferences. I believe that I have
demonstrated that here. It does tend to make for "messy" discussions, but at
least everyone gets a chance to be heard. When we were discussing a name, I
invited suggestions and then ultimately called for a vote. It wasn't my
first choice, but I announced the winner of a democratic vote.

Likewise for this set of "core values". The discussion has been very
productive and we have all come to understand the nature of the event better
because of it. I have been adamant in insisting that the issues involved be
"thought through" and not just agreed to or decided to be "agreeable" or
"popular". They are much too important to do that.

People don't always have to agree, they just have to be willing to listen to
the opinions and thought of others with an open mind. But in a situation
like this, someone has to have ultimate control/authority.

But, should you decide to stick around to read my next posting, you might
find that I am not as dictatorial as you think. As for folks leaving because
you thing I've been rude or pissed them off, well you are free to think what
you like, and so am I. If someone decides to leave because I make it clear
to them that I won't let them fail to consider other points of view, then
they can go, with my blessing.

I can't please everyone, and I am not going to try. I am trying to pull
together a group of widely separate people (geographically speaking) and
that is not a very easy task. Should you have suggestions, you have my
private e-mail address and I welcome your constructive input.

James
not the Daddy!