Re: aquascaping

At 01:21 PM 7/17/99 -0600, Roger wrote:

>> Where does that leave Erik's citing of biotope aquariums for Rift Lake
>> Cichlids? They are certainly aquascaped, usually by the aquarist, sometimes
>> with a little help from the fish themselves <g>.
>
>As long as there's a live plant (or algae, I suppose) there, then it could
>be entered.  If the judging guidelines include (as Karen has insisted) an
>emphasis on gardening, then while the tank may be displayed in the
>showcase it will have no chance of winning in the competition.

LAst time I checked, algae were plants too. Also, I happen to have seen
absolutely stunning rift lake tanks that _were_ true to the biotope and
contained live plants.  It's a serious category in European tank
competitions.  It is a misconception that the rift lakes contain no higher
plants.  Maybe not on rocky reefs inhabited by Mbuna, but there's a lot
more to these lakes than just that.

>Re: plastic plants.
>
>I think this falls into the same category as faked photos.  We can say
>that plastic plants aren't allowed but we have to take it on the
>contestants honor that his plants aren't plastic.  Personally I'm not even
>sure we should mention the possibility.

I tend to agree with you on this one.

Karen