Re: James comments:

At 12:21 PM 7/17/99 -0700, Olga wrote:

>WHAT are you talking about?? What "old" way? You mean by having categories?
>Without them you may not get anyone wanting to enter their 5 gallon tank.
>If they think they are going up against a 120 gallon.. well, why bother?

First, I kind of agree with you that we should divide entries by tank size,
but I also agree with James that it may be best to make the divisions AFTER
the entries are received, based on the numbers and sizes of the
submissions.  Otherwise we're just guessing what sizes might make fairly
uniform divisions.  Just let people know that the tanks WILL be divided
into groups, based on size.

But, to be devil's advocate for a moment, I DID enter my 2 1/2G tank in our
fairly competitive Home Show a couple of years ago.  I did it mostly for
the fun of it, as I sort of felt the same way you do... that it didn't have
a chance.  The next smallest tank in the competition was 30G, and the
largest was a 6', 150G tank.  My little tank came in 2nd.  The only tank
that beat it was another of my own, meaning that if I'd _only_ entered the
little one, it would have been the overall winner.  If the decision is made
NOT to divide tanks by size, I think good judges can recognize the added
difficulty of working in miniature, and reward accordingly.

>BTW I thought we'd agreed no paludariums? These include non-aquatic plants.

I have seen no agreement on this subject.  Certainly I didn't agree, though
I will certainly support the majority.  IMO, paludaria have a very rightful
place in aquatic gardening.  And likening them to a garden pond is
certainly inaccurate until we are able to keep ponds in small glass boxes.

Karen