Where are we now?

Stepping well back from controversy, lets revisit where we are on the basic
criteria that we should consider in these Judging Guidelines -

In a recent post, Olga re-listed just the major headings that both she and I
feel are important. When you look at them isolated from all of the
extraneous garbage, they are remarkably similar (which doesn't surprise me
at all). In what follows, I am removing names, in an effort to also remove
personalities, which is probably what is causing difficulties:

Version A -

1. Theme / Concept
2. Selection / Use of Materials
3. Composition / Balance / Use of Space
4. Viability
5. WOW Factor / Overall Distinction

Version B -

1. Use of Materials
2. Use of Space
3. Use of Colour
4. Viability
5. Overall Impression

Looking at these two lists, you can see that "A" differs from "B" in only
minor ways, mainly in the inclusion of '(1.) Theme / Concept' in list "A",
and the inclusion of '(3.) Use of Colour' in list "B".

You have all read the somewhat heated discussion regarding whether anyone
gives much conscious thought to "Theme / Concept" when designing an
aquascape. I guess the bottom line is that some folks do, some folks don't.
But we probably all can agree that this topic doesn't really "fit" anywhere
else, so if it is deserving of being considered as a Criteria, it belongs in
a heading on it's own. It's relative importance can be discussed later - it
is quite possible that we ultimately give this rather little "weight" (or
not) depending upon what everyone _else_ thinks. Some people DO address this
issue when designing an aquascape and in an event which is inclusive of
various points of view it probably _should_ be considered.

(4.) appears in both lists, and I think that we can all agree that this is
important and deserving of it's consideration as a Criteria heading.

(5.) appears in both lists, with only a difference in words used. I used the
words provided by the two contributors who made input here on that issue and
have no particular feeling one way or the other - I think that the *issue*
is deserving of Criteria classification, but what word we use to name it is
secondary. I actually think that "Overall Impression" _is_ simpler to
understand and would be happy to see it expressed as such.

That leaves items (A.2) and (A.3) in list "A" and items (B.1), (B.2) and
(B.3) in list "B". There has been some input that '(B.3) Colour' can be
included as a subtopic of '(A.3) Composition / Balance / Use of Space', but
the issue remains unresolved and won't be unless more input from folks other
than the two people who have spoken out can be heard.

So, where are we now?

Issues to discuss -

1. From "A" - is (A.1) Theme / Concept enough of an issue to be considered
as a Criteria heading?

2. From both "A" and "B" - can we agree that (A.4) and (B.4) are in
agreement and settled?

3. From both "A" and "B" - can we agree that (A.5) and (B.5) are in
agreement in principle and can be successfully expressed as "Overall
Impression"? (And thus, settled.)

We would then be left with points (A.2), (A.3), (B.1), (B.2), and finally,
(B.3).

How general, inclusive, easily understood are each of the general concepts
contained within each of those points? Can any be merged in order to reduce
the number of major Concepts, or are any in reality part of another Concept?
Are they ALL deserving of full Criteria status?

Please remember that the "questions" which were posted earlier in
association with each of the points given in list "A" were given and
intended as "suggestions only" and should have never been construed as being
the final word in anything.

I urge those who have NOT provided input on these issues to make your voice
heard now. This cannot or should not be the decision of just two people.
There are almost 30 members of this list.