For hopefully the LAST time...

 I apologize to the group for the recent scene between Olga and me - it
should not have happened, but I got the _distinct_ impression, right from
the start ("this is a planted aquarium contest, plain and simple"), that
Olga had a much different vision/impression of what this event could or
should be than I did, and seemed to take great glee in taking pot shots at
my suggestions otherwise. I'm not a snob, and I'm not "esoteric", but I do
have just as many nerve endings as anyone else does and when I feel that
someone deliberately sets out to bait me, it usually ends up in a fight.
That's one of my failings and I'm very willing to acknowledge it.

My appending a list of possible "questions" to a set of Criteria several
days ago was meant (and stated) as suggestions only and I did not appreciate
having the "pretentious" epithet levelled in my direction over the use of
the term "visual tension". Changes or alterations could have been suggested
in a much more non-threatening and odious manner than they were. I feel that
I have no need to apologize for my education, my interests, or my approach
to this hobby.

I have tried throughout this to take the opinions and ideas of as wide a
variety of group members into consideration as possible and am not insisting
on much of anything. Adjustments can be suggested by anyone at any time, and
they are always welcome, provided that there is a well thought out reason
behind them.

We have people on the list now from both Europe and Asia and I know enough
about cultural differences to know that not everyone knows what <g> means
and I am also very aware, living in a multi-cultural, multi-racial,
multi-ethnic city that the word "spade" can have _very_ negative
connotations. Protestations to the contrary do not make me feel any more
comfortable with that kind of language.

When I thought that was over and done with, the rather glib suggestion, even
in jest, that we perhaps consider holding some entries up for private
ridicule just brought my house of cards down. I have worked too many 12 hour
days on this event over the past few weeks to see someone scuttle all of our
efforts "as a joke". Perhaps I _am_ too serious, but this is me - take it or
leave it. I am certainly _not_ mad.

Now, unless anyone feels strongly otherwise, I would prefer to get back to
planning the best darned Showcase/Contest possible.