Contest - automatic or by request???

When trying to re-work our guidelines for the contest portion of this event,
keeping in mind the "kinder, gentler, simpler" theme, it stikes me that
perhaps we had better nail down how aquascapes get into the Contest.

We have already decided that all submitted (and I would add the word
"accepted") images are to be displayed in the Showcase.

We have waffled over whether people have to specifically request that their
images also be considered in the Contest or this should be automatic, with
aquascapes pulled from the Contest portion only on specific request. I'm
reminded of the controversy which greeted a local Cable TV supplier here in
Toronto when they introduced extra channels a few years ago. All customers
were automatically given access to the extra channels (and received larger
bills as a result) unless they specifically requested that they NOT be
signed up for the new service. It caused a LOT of confusion and
consternation.

Erik has repeatedly cautioned us about the need for simplicity on the Entry
Form. Extra check boxes can cause confusion. If we set inclusion into the
Contest as something which people have to specifically request (via a check
box on the Entry Form) we run the risk that some people might misunderstand
and/or forget to tick off the check box, meaning that their submission is
placed in the Showcase but not considered in the Contest.

I think that anyone who is concerned enough about NOT wanting their
aquascape "judged" would be more likely to tick off a box which would
prevent it's inclusion in the Contest portion.

This would mean that all submitted (and accepted) entries are to be placed
in BOTH the Showcase and the Contest UNLESS the entrant specifically
requests otherwise (via a check box on the entry Form).

(I add the word "accepted" as a gentle, but sufficient, way for us to
eliminate an obvious "fake" [yes, I'm _still_ concerned over that - I can
think of a couple of folks on the APD who would consider this as a supreme
challenge]). The "acceptable" idea can be expounded on in the Entry
Guidelines section where we can simply state that "images may be adjusted in
tone, color balance, brightness and sharpness only". The word "faked" is not
necessary and I think that this should satisfy me and those who feel that
even mentioning such a thing is an invitation to disaster.

Thoughts???