Prizes

Justin wrote:
"I really like the idea, but I'm not convinced that it wouldn't change the
atmosphere of the contest to something more competitive.  If we find
something like that, I'd certianly like to win it, but if it dosen't happen
I won't be crushed.  Also, I heard a rumor that Vectrapoint went under and
is no longer producing AquaJournal."

For those who want a non-competative event and/or environment, there is is
always the option of entering the Showcase and not the Contest. There is
also nothing stopping us from offering both ribbons/certificates as well as
a few nice prizes. I'm not envisioning handing out scads of "junk" prizes -
it is a simple matter of carefully selecting the people you ask and how you
ask the question. It is also quite easy when doing something like this to
actually "suggest" what you would like them to donate. I've done this before
for events I've helped organize - it is daunting the first time you do it,
but by the 10th time you wonder why people get so worked up about it. The
company gains by receiving exposure and the event gains by getting
attractive prizes.

And as for shipping - if we are lucky enough to get donations big enough to
pose a problem in shipping, I'm almost 100% certain that arrangements could
be made with the donor company for them to hold the prize until we notify
them of the winner's name and address and have them ship it directly. This
is not likely to be a big deal. Thing like LaMotte or Hach test kits also
don't take up much space and should be easy to handle for someone. I've no
intention of going out collecting junk to give away - I'm a real snob when
it comes to the equipment I use - I appreciate quality and am willing to pay
for it. I would want this contest to be the same way as far as awards goes.

If we solicit gift certificates or magazine subscriptions these are not
going to be a problem to store/send out through the mail. We'd have to mail
out Certificates/Ribbons anyway...

And if anyone wins something they would rather not have, I'm sure that we
could arrange to send them a nice satin ribbon in it's stead. <g>

The bit about Vectrapoint is certainly interesting. Their web-site is still
up, and was last updated on 02/08/99. I hope that the rumour proves to be
false. I still think that it is a shame that Art wasn't able to make a go of
selling ADA products in North America. I'd hate to see the magazine suffer
the same fate. I have one of their Beetle Pollen Glass CO2 diffusers, a
bubble counter and the CO2 quick test. All beautifully made.

"If we decide to go with prizes, I don't have a problem volunteering to
track
some of that stuff down."

I think that both Erik and I would prefer to see at least _some_ real prizes
awarded - at least for a Grand Prize or a Best of Show award. A Certificate
could also be made available but it would be a classy touch to be able to
give away something like an Eheim canister filter or (fingers crossed) one
of their complete kits (they make beautiful aquariums, stands and hoods as
well).

I think that it would be a mistake for us to pull back from the idea of
making this a "big" event, either from a fear of making it seem too
competative or due to a few folks liking satin. The extra effort required is
really minimal - remember that most of this is taking place on the Web - the
major "jobs" that have to be done are getting the word out to as many people
as possible and helping folks with photography or scanning. Co-ordinating
prizes will be (should be) a piece of cake. B.T.W., I and probably Karen
(she'll probably kill me when she gets back from vacation for volunteering
her) can do the approaching of the companies for you - that's not a problem.