Re: Proposal

Dave VanderWall wrote:
"We should prohibit any and all images from containing any copyright
information or other text or graphics overlaid on the image.  We will
provide the copyright information on the web site and will provide it to any
publications where the image will be displayed.  This goes along with the
numbering of images so as not to influence the judges. "

I really don't think that we are likely to get many images which have
copyright information emblazoned onto the image area. And that is more of a
concern if this were a photo contest - our focus is on aquascaping.

"I didn't know we were providing volume discounts.  "

It was an idea which was discussed a long while ago. someone had mentioned
that if we set multiple entries at the same cost as an AGA subscription we
might encourage people to join the AGA.

"This is just hypothetical, so don't
take my head off here, but if there are 800 members in the AGA, and each one
decides to enter 5 tanks, we will quickly reach the "unmanageable" level"

I'm not about to take your head off <g>, but Karen suggested placing a
realistic limit on the maximum number of entries - a limit which would allow
us to do this properly and timely. Erik, who is the one who will end up
having to deal with all of those images, has suggested a limit of somewhere
between 300 - 500 entries. I have no problem with the limit, if it means
that this remains manageable - but if we do place limits on the total number
of entries, we should also place limits on the number of entries per
person - see Erik's comments. So in that case, the "volume discount" goes.
One entry per person, one basic entrance fee. Or we could allow at most 3
entries per person. Group's choice.

I agree with Erik that we want to see people's best efforts - i wouldn't be
very impressed by someone who has a digital camera and who decides to enter
every tank in his basement just because this is free.

"On Judging Criteria and Guidelines; Scoring Guidelines (appendix vii):
James writes in the draft proposal:"... "Remove the "when at all possible."

I have no problem removing the phrase.

"101 entries or more in a single category."

We arrange things so that there ARE NOT more than 100 entries in any one
category. That shouldn't be difficult - if we have 20 categories to work
with.

Regarding the discretion I allow Judges in my draft - I bow to other's
experience - we'll tell them to "fish or cut bait". Winners will be declared
in ALL categories. But we will need realistic figures for the minimum number
of entries per category (3-5 has been suggested).