Re: [AGA Contest] various replies, incl judging...

Even if there is a diff, wht's the basis for saying which
is a more accurate reflection of combining the judges'
views into one? I partial to simple as possible.
Consistency in method probably has a lot going for it at
this point unless there is a striking and compelling reason
to make a change.

I jsut don't want the scoring to be a black box or a grey
box. Otoh, I'm thinking now that the more said the more
argument ;-)

Judges --- I think it's hard to find good judges and with
so few rules. Go Dutch rules and it's easier to track to
results (although maybe harder to get volunteers ;-)  )

Thin about the possibles and then look at all the choices.
They've been quite good choices. Some judges, and I think
it's a tiny percentage weren't as good as some might have
expected. But we expect a few jacks to show up in the face
cards. I don't think any have been really bad -- compared
to what? The AGA contest sort of pioneered aquascaping
contest (at least once yo step out of the dutch thing). The
lack of rigidity, compared to dutch, makes things a bit
loose in places, but it affords a flexibility that, in the
long run I think will be more accomodating to a broader
audience.

sh

sh
--- Phil Edwards <biotypical@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, if there is no real difference between a
> weighted average and
> arithmetic average I would prefer things be scored
> arithmetically to more
> accurately reflect the scores given.
>
> I don't think a pre-adjudication discussion of best
> practices would be a bad
> thing.  Anything that helps get the judges on the same
> page, or at least
> closer than before, is a good thing.
>

> Best,
> Phil

> aga-contest-digest"
>   in the same message.
>   Old messages are available at
> http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-contest
>   When asked, log in as username is "aga-contest", and
> password "second".

=====
She Wrote the book on low maintenance aquatic gardening!
Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_
Meet her at  - The Fifth AGA Annual Convention
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org & www.gwapa.org