Re: [AGA-Contest] AGA-Contest Digest, Vol 26, Issue 3

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:58:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Erik Olson <erik@thekrib.com>
> Subject: [AGA-Contest] up to 38 entries with photos
> To: aga-contest@thekrib.com
>
> You guys must be doing something right... I don't think we've ever had
> this much early participation.
>
> Got the first controversy of the year today.  One of the contestants has
> entered the exact same tank, but with the background changed, as two
> separate entries.  I can tell it's the exact same tank because the plants
> are in precisely the same location.  Literally just a background swap, one
> film for another.  What do you think?
>
>    * Force it to be evaluated as a single entry, cutting down the total of
>      9 photos to 5?
>
>    * Evaluate as two separate entries?
>
>    * Evaluate as two separate entries but only allow one to win?

>   - Erik

The only problem of Scott's idea of having the discretion in "same tank"
issues be with the judges, is that up until now the judges have had no
contact with each other until the bulk of the judging is completed.  What if
some of the judges notice, and another doesn't? (and, having been on all of
the judging teams, there are one or two judges I have no confidence WOULD
have noticed<g>)

In this case, I think I'd suggest someone talking to him politely and seeing
if he'd willingly withdraw one entry. (maybe suggesting Scott's possibility
that he could weaken his own chance of winning) If he insisted on keeping
both entries in, I'd make sure for this year that all of the judges knew
about it ahead of time (since some of us already do) and let it go.

I agree that it makes sense to add some wording to the rules for next year
to try to prevent a recurrence.  Sure it's open to interpretation, so just
make it clear up-front, who has the final decision-making authority.
Suggest that if a person is unsure whether two entries might be too similar,
that they run it by the committee chair ahead of time.  In photography
contests, the final decision on entries that are too similar (such as the
same view shot vertically then horizontally) is with the show committee
chairman.  I think that's a better place to put the decision than the
judges.  I don't think any particular tank should be called to the judges'
attention for good or for bad before the actual judging starts.

That's one judge's perspective on the issue.<g>

Karen