Re:

It could get messy trying to do a partial change of
substrate and remove the UG.  You might wish after you
started that you left the UG buried or jsut did a full
break down.  Then again, it sounds like something I might
do.

IF there is a screen or guard of some kind on the powehead
intake, you can fit a sponge over it and voila, instant
meachanical filter and circulation.  Marineland makes
sponges for this for their own powerhead but I've fit them
over lots of things.  For Marineland, they're called RUG
(reverse UG) sponges.

Scott H.