Re: pH

see Erik's post from earlier today.

My understanding and experience is this, basically plants
tend to prefer neutral to slightly acidic water and rather
soft.

Some fish come from soft acidic waters and some from hard
alkaline waters.  But most will tolerate well a wide range
of pH and hardnesses.  If your water is around 6.6 -7.6,
and soft to moderately hard, I wouldn't worry about trying
to finesse the pH or hardness -- maybe later when you're
hankerin' to tinker more with the tank.  I would be more
concerned about pH if I was going to raise or breed  discus
(relatively low pH) or African cichlids (relatively high
pH).  Wider varinaces might be jsut as safe but I have less
experience once we move out below 6.6 or above 7.6.

Scott H.