[AGA Member] Re: AGA Member - Digest V1 #62

> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:23:21 -0600
> From: Roger Miller <roger@spinn.net>
> Subject: Re: [AGA Member] Red Pigment-K spectrum
experiment

> On Monday 22 September 2003 16:24, Dennis wrote:
>
> > Which means that my red plants
> > that require lower intensity light to remain red are
green because
> > the fixture is 2x65 watt PCs over a 50gal.  <g>
>
> Hmm.  I didn't know that there were red plants that
required lower intensity
> light to remain red.

Deep water is assosiated with blue/violet light which means
that red plants dominate at depths. I believe that some
red/brown plants will be redder in low light because they
associate darker situations with deeper situations.

Nymphea has red submerged leaves but its floating leaves are
green. I have Crypt wendtii that turns brown from green in
the shade. And I've read that Rotala also turns green above
the surface.

Red pigments may not be as efficient as chlorophyll but they
cost less (No N) and may be more suitable in slow grow
situations.

We usually associate red plants with bright light because
many develop the pigments as a form of suntan - UV
protection.

Phil can prove/disprove the theory. Phil's experiment, if I
may suggest should involve light intensity as one of the
variables. Also a variety of red plants. Not all plants are
red for the same reason.

good luck

Stephan

.

---
[This E-mail was scanned for spam and viruses by NextGen.net.]