Re: [AGA Member] Red Pigment-K spectrum anecdotes

From: "S. Hieber" <shieber@yahoo.com>

> Okay.  so let me summarize:  Red plants are redder when the
> light is strong or else when the light is not strong.  Am I
> confused or are their two views here -- of course, I could

I agree with Stephan, "Not all red plants are red for the same
reason", since that matches what I've read so far and I've seen
correlation in my tanks.  I do not agree with Phil vis-a-vis his
analysis of terrestrial growth with canopy/shade, since forest
ecology does not work that way. I know of no tree specie that
accelerates growth just because it finds itself in the canopy, and I
know of no shrub or mid/low level vegetation that stunts itself
strictly on the basis of refracted light conditions. A forest just
doesn't work that way.  (Of course, this leaves out a host of other
factors, but I'm far more versed in forest ecology than aquatic.
Still doesn't mean I know anything, of course, but I'm versed in it.
Versing is good, right?)  <g>

-d