Re: [AGA Member] Red Pigment-K spectrum experiment

Dennis Sheridan wrote:

Then I read somewhere that intense light can 'bleach', for lack of a
better term, the color from some plants leaving them with only their
green pigment.
<end quote>

Dennis,

Your plants are really "bleaching" they're producing more Chlorophyll to compensate for the increased amount of light they've been exposed too. Chlorophyll has the lovely property of covering up the other pigments so that we can't see them very often. When the amount of cholorphyll is increased the visible amounts of red, orange, and yellow diminish. The pigments are still there, we just can't see them.

I have another stem plant which is also supposed to have reddish
pigment (as it did when I bought it) and it responded the same way
to the same test.  So that's why I was thinking of dropping down in
wattage.  As long as that won't the color of my other plants which
are nicely red.  I really liked the lobelia when it looked like
Oriental Aquarium's picture.  I don't care much for it looking like
it does in Kasselmans..

Somewhat off topic, did you buy your Lobelia in a store or did you get it from someone on the list?

Best,
Phil