Re: [AGA Member] AB contest announcements

Hi Roger,

I think the mistake is on my end. I'm not privy to the "disagreement" either, but there have been rumblings in the past. I don't think and hope that it doesn't influence others who frequent his board to have the same feelings. The people who I know on the AB forum who are AGA members and who I've met at the AGA were all very supportive of the planted tank community and I see their work as important to the propagation of this hobby.

I would like to see more of the original posters of the APD return and make an appearance. I think that it's still one of the most visited planted lists, although many others are now available. The newer people have a lot to learn from the experienced aquascapers and may not know about some of these other forums. I read the list but don't often post. I don't think I have the expertise that many of the others original posters have. Their knowledge is invaluable and important to the growth of this hobby.

Since I have asked this of others, I'll come onto the APD and AB to do a little more to promote the hobby instead of stirring the pot. I hope you didn't take things the wrong way. Like I explained to Carlos, I didn't like the comment made by Robert. The particular person that comment was directed at has worked tirelessly and deserves a LOT of appreciation for how the convention turned out last year and will turn out this year.

Anyways, see you on the boards.
Bailin

> I'm not sure why there is such a dislike of the AGA by people who post on
> Aquabotanic...

Bailin,

I do hope this is just a misunderstanding. I am a moderator at the
Aquabotanic forums and one of the most active posters on AB. AGA has been
very supportive of my goals in the hobby. I appreciate that and I like to
think that I've been supportive of AGA. I didn't know that people who post
on AB have any animosity toward AGA. I understand that Robert has had
disagreements with some AGA folks in the past. I am not privvy what happened
but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't generalize to the rest of us.

> However, let's be honest, what's the true
> reason that Robert has a forum that competes with the AGA's list and the
> APD.

Gee, I think Robert might have to answer that, but I don't think there's any
secret. Robert uses the Aquabotanic forums as a way to raise the profile of
his business. He pays for the facility. I hope he gets a return that is
worth his investment.

> Have you not noticed that the original posters on the APD have all
> but disappeared? One of the old venerable lists is now visited by only a
> few of the original posters.

Uh, yeah. I don't think that has anything to do with AB. It is inevitable
that people will move on and for the most part they haven't moved on to
Aquabotanic. The crowd at APD has changed with time and if the topics they
discuss cease to be interesting to a large number of people then APD will
cease to be the factor it once was -- just like the venerable newsgroups that
preceded APD. At the moment though, APD seems to be pretty healthy.