[AGA Member] Marsilea carpets

Is there any way to maintain a marsilea carpet in good, attractive conditions
more-or-less permanently?

I've had dense Marsilea carpets in a couple tanks now and they eventually get
overgrown and clogged with algae.  Different algae, different times.  The
longest I have been able to maintain a carpet I was meticulously vaccuuming
the carpet and picking through it by hand every week.  Been there, done that
and refuse to do it again.  It this just my problem?

Are other carpets (e.g. glossostigma and dwarf hair grass) subject to the
same problems?

Roger Miller