Re: [AGA Member] Malaysian trumpeter snails & eaters of

Dear Max:
I do not have direct experience on snail-eating loaches, though I kept kuhli loaches for some years. But I am interested in acquiring some! When snails came into my big tank (in spite of bleach dips and quarantine, grrr) and got Biblical on me--as in, my advice would be to avoid getting them--then I started hunting for info on snail-eating fish. Clown loaches would get entirely too big and rambunctious in my tank. I've seen them in a massive tank at Capitol Aquarium, bigger than most sport fish. As in 5 - 8 pounds, kid you not.
From my homework, Ic ame across a comment by plant guru Karen Randall that she preferred Botia striata, striped loach (not tiger loach!) which stays small. Unfortunately, when young, it's easily confused with other juvenile loaches (such as tiger loach).. There's an excellent loach website which discusses lots of kinds, and states that the best snail-eaters are Botia dario or Queen loach, Botia Lohachata, Clowd loaches, and Botia Rostrata.
Lots of good general info, too, such as they're often collected seasonally (March) from the wild, and various suggestions for quarantine against internal parasites, & etc.
www.loaches.com
I have heard that a store in Albany CA (in the SF Bay area) sells good, quarantined, unusual fish, but it's hard for me to get there, and I worry about the 2-hour commute to get them home safely when it's already 90 degrees F as I write.

Max Chang wrote:

is it possible to use certain kinds of fish to control
the population of snails? does anyone have experience
about that?

Max

--- Amit Brucker <amitb@gtek.co.il> wrote:

Cute little guys...
The good thing about them is that they will enter
your gravel, thus your
gravel can get a bit more aerated. Another good
point is that they do help
in cleaning some types of algae and helping out in
the all overall process
of your tank ecological system.
The bad thing on them is that one is enough to
reproduce itself.... You put
up a few in the beginning and after a few weeks you
get several hundreds of
these guys. They are most active at night.
My opinion is that is that if you can do without
them.... keep it this way
unless you can control their population.
HTH

Amit Brucker
www.plantica.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Pullen" <rpullen@waterpik.com>