Re: [AGA-Member] No yeast?

Yes, that's it. I learned this from Tarah Nyberg when I
asked why her receipe for recharging a yeast reactor
didn't mention how much yeast to use.

If there are yeast cells in the container and nutrients and
a lack of toxins, then there will be a maximum population
level within hours -- certainly by overnight. The nutrient
and toxin levels control the population size -- at the rate
at which the population can double, without limits it could
fill your house in no time, I suspect.

I've been running some reactors off the same original
culture of yeast for a year or so. The only need to
completly dump out all of the old mix is when it has a
nasty smell, a sign that it's become contaminated. As long
as it smells like cheap wine or beer, it's good to go --
just dump he alcohol and acids and leave a little smutz at
the bottom -- then refill with water and nutrients (sugar,
protein, etc.) and a little soda to stretch the activity
time. ;-)

Scott H.
--- Rachel Sandage <rachelsor@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I wonder:
> I am using a mix of yeast, sugar, baking soda, and water
> in the hagen plant-gro CO2 natural canister (you know,
> the one with the fun see-em-dissolve bubble ladder). I
> use 1/8t yeast, 1 t baking soda, and 1/2 cup of sugar.
> Are you saying I could drain out {some, most} of the old
> mixture, add new sugar, baking soda, and water, and
> things would still cook? Not that 1/8t of yeast every 3-4
> weeks is breaking the bank, just curious.

=====
Still some time left to get the 65% discount hotel rate.

The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.
aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org

Speakers, 3 Focus Groups in two sessions each, plus Field Trip, Banquet, auctions of equipment and plants from some of the best companies, gardeners & nurseries in the hobby.