unusual behavior

I have noted a behavior in my elongate Apisto "Piacoa" species that I have not seen before.  In a 10 gal.tank I have two females with free swimming fry and several males.  One of the males now has taken on female brood markings.  Except that he remains brown-gray he now sports a single central side spot like the brooding females.  He also lacks the black ventral fins.  He is herding around a swarm of fry with one of the females and she is tolerating him.  I have never seen this type of behavior before.
Tom
'