Re: unusual behavior

Thomas Wilkinson wrote:

> I have noted a behavior in my elongate Apisto "Piacoa" species that I
> have not seen before.  In a 10 gal.tank I have two females with free
> swimming fry and several males.  One of the males now has taken on
> female brood markings.  Except that he remains brown-gray he now
> sports a single central side spot like the brooding females.  He also
> lacks the black ventral fins.  He is herding around a swarm of fry
> with one of the females and she is tolerating him.  I have never seen
> this type of behavior before.
> Tom
> '
Tom,
That's really neat. I've been paying more attention to how male apistos
behave with fry. I always vaguely noticed it while watching females, but
for some reason, I started focussing on the males much more, and the
wide range of behavior is entertaining. I've never seen it go as far as
your sp. "piacoa".
What group would you guess these guys to be from?
-Gary

BTW I have a young pair of mendezi. It's an extremely pretty little
fish, much more than the photos had made me expect. The male has a red
head, much like a Nigerian red P. taeniatus in colour.