Re: Shell Dwellers?

dominic stones wrote:

> Ok. Sorry about the straying everyone, and thanks for the link Helen. I've
> just gotten back into africans (not that i've left my apistos behind!) and
> got a little over-excited.
>
> But on an apisto thread (and an old one, from what i remember) I have found
> what appear to be very suitable dithers for my caucatoides - Iratherina
> werneri. I haven't had a spawn from my apistos yet but so far so good - the
> thread-fins just flit around looking beautiful and bothering no-one. So
> fingers crossed.
>
> Also, can anyone give me any information on A. elizabethae? As in how hard
> to keep, where to get them, what should i expect to pay? I can't afford any
> new intros right now, but i'm making a wish list.
>
> thanks and apologies
>
> dominic

Hi Dominic,
I'll take off my grinch-hat here... Iriatherina werneri is a great fish,
but you have to watch the tank. Everything is perfect for them to go
with apistos - their water needs, behavior, etc, with one warning (from
my experience). This will sound weird.
Threadfins swim in spurts, with a little drop at the end of the burst of
energy where they sink a bit. If a cichlid is feeling ornery, it'll
whack the threadfin right as it starts that little drop in the swimming
pattern. When I bred threadfins, I had them in a lot of tanks, and
learned that one the hard way. just watch the cichlids, most of them
don't bother, but if you get one that does, threadfins are vulnerable,
and delicate.
-Gary