RE: Feeder fish

Colin Dujardin wrote:
>I know these fish are mostly carnivorous, maybe they can
>be fed with classical live or frozen food, but it would
>or might be interesting to feed them with live fishes
>also.

Since I got the pair of C. regani from Helen I've been feeding these mainly
frozen foods, the majority being bloodworm - which they will happily take
from my fingers. They are not too keen on flaked food, but the female will
take the occasional bit which has rested on a plant leaf. But in general I
would say they would rather starve than eat it. When I had them in the 4
foot tank with other fish there was no sign of molly fry, but mollies of
2cm(3/4")were untouched, despite the pikes having the turn of speed to
certainly catch them, and the jaw construction which would allow them to
swallow almost their own girth. From my experience I wouldn't think having
feeder fish would be that advantageous, and the growth rates and condition
of Helen's fish would suggest it would have no advantage.

Also Colin Dujardin wrote:
>I know that the Nijsseni trick is not for feeding ;-))
>but would love to read the end of the story...

Some pack hunting from the mollies and the cardinals broke out, and that was
the limit for Nanny nijsseni's capabilities on her own. I managed to save 17
fry out. Last night I noticed the black line on the fry.