RE: kribs spawning

Ramblings.. No John. Observations of behaviours are about as important as
anything else in the hobby, or academia. And as relevant to the genetic
make-up of the fish as anything, be the behaviours truly genetically
acquired or the ability for them to be learned. Whither they are used at the
moment to assist in describing a species or not at the moment is probably a
side issue (I'd put money on it that in time it will come - well for
sub-species anyway).

Akin to the body colour changes, I've also noted that body posture and fin
angles also play their part in the fry movement responses during the first
week or so, particularly with the "fry hit the dust now" danger signal. With
body colour change only; the fry move slowly to the bottom of the tank, If
accompanied with a static body and fully erect fins; they go down like they
were vacuumed to the bottom.

With the "come to me gesture" I've noticed the brightening of colours, when
there is little presumed threat, and this seams to be used just to move the
fry to another desired location. If this is accompanied by a circling
twitching motion with erect fins the fry show more urgency in moving close,
and generally the adults tend to presume more of a threat when this movement
is employed.

The "don't follow me I'm off to deal with the threat" signalling I'm not so
sure of though, I've scene this happen with the parent still in the
colouration from the "fry hit the dust now" stage, though the initial
departure angle of the fish is practically always upwards, rather than
downwards or at the same level, even if after a couple of inches the fish
readjusts to go down to the bottom of the tank.

Who knows, maybe they have a three word baby-language; to-me, hit-floor, and
NOW!..;-)

Scot