Re: gibbiceps growth/monogamy?

swaldron@slip.net wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I recently acquired some juvenile wc gibbiceps- likely Rio Negro in origin
> as evidenced by the pertensis and gephyra also in the same tank. In past
> experience with c.b. gibbiceps- I found the fry to grow extremely slow and
> ended up trading them off before they hit maturity (1 year). My current
> batch are the exact opposite- in the 2 weeks I have had them under my care
> the male has put on a cm in length, caudal extensions and some amazing
> colors. Though my husbandry has improved over the years- I'm wondering if
> there is more to it than that. There is a reference in Linke and Staeck
> about this fish being slow to grow- curious to know if anyone has similar
> experiences- do wild caugth fish grow faster? are they monogamous?

I'm keeping some F-1 "cf" gibbiceps, and they are growing as quickly as
any apisto I've kept. They're young adults, and haven't wasted any time
getting there. Thee were fry found orphaned in a weedy tank after the
parents mysteriously croaked, so I can't say they had the best of
treatment either, as I found them when they were 1-2 weeks freeswimming.
-Gary