Re: Live Black worms and other cultures...

Bill,

Black worms are more closely related to tubifex worms and like them require an organic rich (septic) environment to survive and reproduces. People tell me they don't carry as high an organic load as red tubifex, but I still have had too
many people tell horror stories of apistos coming down with some incurable disease only after starting to use them. Such worms should be used only as a supplement and are not necessary to a fish's diet. Instead I would use baby red
earthworms. They don't come from an aquatic environment that might harbor fish diseases. I have heard of people breeding earthworms in crushed walnut shells and even shredded newspaper to eliminate possible contamination from pollutant
in soil.

I've also heard that small cockroaches make excellent food for dwarfs, too, but I don't plan on raising or using these either.

Mike Wise