Re: Apisto pairs [rant, but interesting]

Sam,

Half of my apistos I keep as pairs in small tanks
(10-15 gal.). The trick for beginners is to know
which species are polygamous and which it doesn't
matter. Your bitaeniatas & cacatuoides are
definitely polygamous. In such species "sneaker
males" are fairly common. The are often hard to
tell from real females even for me. Your problem
seems to be bad luck as much as anything. My
suggestion is to buy 2 or 3 pairs if you don't
feel that you'll be able to find them later.
Quarantine them in an open tank. Like other
cichlids if there are no territorial markers in
the tank, territories are almost impossible to
maintain by any but the largest most aggressive
males. Make sure there are 2-3 hiding places for
each apisto (both male & female) in the tank.
Flower pots & PVC pipe work well for this. In a
24" long breeding tank of polygamous species keep
2 females & a male together. Hold the other male
in reserve. Make sure the tank is split by 2 or 3
obvious territorial markers.  Leave all other
bottom dwelling fish out of a breeding tank. They
just add stress to the apistos who really don't
need them. After some successful experiences with
apistos I'm sure you'll be able to better ID pairs
and even keep polygamous species as pairs. It just
take patience & practice.

Mike Wise