Re: Laetacara flavilabris

Vinny,

My pH is generally around 7.8.  The water is also fairly hard. (which is why I was surprised when I did get 3 fry from my wild norbertis)  I've had these guys for about a year now.  I got them last year at the ALA actually.
I'm hoping to sneak up on these guys one day when they are feeding.  They have come out of hiding more now that they have some 'buddies' in the tank with them (all males - E. dageti, M. parkinsoni, and E. roloffi).  They do seem to hang out all together in the tank, except after the spawn.  Then the female seems to guard her spot and makes sure none of the others gets too close unless I get too close, and then she takes off with the group again.  The pictures I get on this camera are usually ok.  They only get seen online anyways :).  I can't complain on the camera since it's not really my own and I borrow it occasionally.  Your rigging sounds more impressive then getting the fish to spawn to begin with. *grin*

Lisa

V Kutty wrote:

Lisa, Your flavilabris are acting like my thayeri.  My flavilabris spawned in ph 6.8 water, what was your pH?  I would guess that this species is not too picky about pH or hardness.  Good luck with the photography.

 I've had my thayeri for almost 1.5 years and I still have not had a decent photo (or spawn) of them.   They hide as soon as I walk in the fish room - can't take pics of them that way.  So I have now rigged up an elaborate scaffolding-n-screen system with 2X4s and black paper so that they cant see me but I can see them with my camera.  The tough part was/is positioning the corded flash and the other 3 slave strobes so they all work well together.  I've been rigging this together for 3 weeks now.  After all is said and done, I think I'll be more impressed with the scaffolding system than the pictures! Vinny