Re:

David writes:

> I seem to remember that someone on this list had a great success with a
>  snail-eating fish, could anyone let me know the name of this fish?

Clown loaches and their relatives are good with pond snails and small
ramshorns.  Colombian ramsorns are actually apple snails and don't breed fast
enough to be a nuisance except that they eat plants destructively.  Oscars
will eat baby apples snails of all species/varieties.

IF you have those little Malaysian Turbo Snails, there is nothing that can
eat them with any amount of success, although I've heard of a couple of
species of rift lake cichlids that will protect a spawn by actually smashing
them against the glass walls of an aquarium, and can clear a tank in a week
or so.  As fish food, they have shells that are too thick to munch.  I
haven't heard of anyone trying oscars on them, though.  It might be worth a
try.

Bob Dixon