Re: A. hongsloi (Alto Carinagua)

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your thoughts. I know it is a hongsloi and I know that is a
polymorphic species. Despite Helen's misinterpretation of my words, I was
not attacking your expertise, just questioning what you had meant by:

>Considering where they
>were collected, I wouldn't be
>> surprised  if this form was part of the initial
>wild stock used to develop the
>> domestic Rotstrich strain. I know that if I
>wanted to add some "wild blood" into
>> my Rotstrich strain, I would not be afraid to
>use your form.

 Presently, the "rotstrich" might be the result of years of domestic
selection but the fish I was referring to is depicted on pg. 69 of the
englsih version of Linke and Staeck(and thought was receiving from Tim) is
what we used to call "rotstrich" and is naturally occurring variant - that
is where I became confused by the previous statement.

Actually the Alto Carinagua
>form seems to be intermediate between the type forms and Staeck's original
>Rotstrich form.

This was my concern with Tim's fish- is this a natural intermediate or an
inter-populational hybrid? I can't say that I'm familiar with every
naturally occurring hongsloi variant but i have seen my share of wild
caught imports over the years and this form looked strange...Thinking back
to the situation- prior to getting the fish from tim I spoke with some guy
working at a fish store in Texas who had supposedly captured the fish in
the wild and had sold Tim his stock- he described the male looking like a
"rotstrich (i.e. linke and staeck pg. 69) but the offspring were obviously
coming up looking different from that form and that is where some
suspicions arose.

                              Steven J. Waldron

                             http://WWW.ANURA.ORG
               "Natural History, Captive Husbandry, Conservation and
                           Biophilia of Tropical Frogs"