Re: Ailing krib and Krib genetics

I agree with this entirely. There are several color morphs of Pv. pulchra that
have been mixed in the hobby over the years. It's similar to what we were doing
with A. agassizii a few years back.

There is a good reason not to cross populations unless breeding for special
traits. Many of the color populations may actually be separate "sibling species"
that deserve to be preserved. Gary's example of Pv. "taeniatus" Lobe & Lokoundje
is a prime example. Dr. Loiselle has seen "taeniatus" species of 2 different
color morphs living together, but not interbreeding. This sounds like we are
dealing with two very different species here. We might not be able to separate
them, but it seems that the fish can! Paul can recognize at least 3 species
within the taeniatus-complex. He considers Lobe to be Pv. kribensis. Paul
considers Lokoundje to be Pv. callipterus since it comes from the type locality
of Pv. callipterus and has features different from the true Nigerian taeniatus
and the true kribensis. He told me that species differences can be seen on live
fish, but they all look alike once preserved.

Mike Wise