Re: Ailing krib and Krib genetics

Simon,

My only experience (and not mine actually) with such selective breeding of Common
Kribs was over 20 years ago. Rick Haeffner (now curator of herps & fishes at the
Denver Zoo) selectively bred Common Kribs to increase the number of spots on the
male's caudal fin. He gave me one male that was a cull. It had 7 spots in two
rows! I have a slide of it somewhere. He had specimens with 12 spots in three
rows by the time he grew tired of the experiment.

As for albino Common Kribs, Dr. Langhammer discussed its genetics in a
Buntbarsche Bulletin back in the mid 80s. He explains why some produce normal
colored fry as well as albinos while others produce all albinos.

As for the female's breathing problems, I wonder if she might be infested with
gill parasites. All fish have them all of the time (sort of like the cold virus
in humans). If she was more stressed than the other fish in the tank, she might
have had a population explosion that are now clogging her gills. Try a commercial
parasite killer or use a formalin bath (2 drops / US gallon or 1 drop / 2 liters)
and see if this helps.

Mike Wise