Re: Keyholes WAS: wild alti types

V Kutty wrote:

> It is interesting that you find Keyholes to be a little 'stupid' too.
> I love these fish because they are so mellow but there must be
> something to their natural history that we dont know...they HAVE to be
> better guarders of their eggs in the wild to raise even a few fry to
> juvenilehood.  I'd like to observe them in the wild someday.  My pair
> now spawn every two weeks but completely forget they are guarding eggs
> when I walk by the tank.  They beg and forget all about their eggs.
> Sometimes they wander off aimlessly, doing keyhole things.  The last
> time I spawned them back in '88 or '89, I remember them having a
> whatever-attitude as well.  Still, I love my numb skulls.
>
> Vinny

I share your liking for keyholes, although I feel a bit masochistic when
I consider getting them again.
This is pure, unbased speculation, but I've wondered if keyholes come
from very heavily vegetated habitats. I've been watching a pair of
finches in my garden. They have 3 eggs in their nest, and while their
neighbours of other species are guarding like apistos, this pair is
acting like keyholes. Their strategy is clearly not to draw attention to
where their eggs are. I was standing looking at their somewhat poorly
placed nest yesterday and I thought of keyholes.
Cichlids on the brain, I guess.
Gary