Re: Serious question about E. coli

As far as the health of your fish is concerned there are nastier
things in most tapwater than coliform bacteria. Fish in farm ponds
must encounter heavy concentrations of such bacteria.
As far as your own health is concerned obviously you would need
to take precautions.
It is easy enough to syphon water from a tank without ever having
to put your mouth to the tube. Simply fill the tubing from the tap
and keep your thumbs over each end until one end is in the water
and the other is lowered to the receptacle.
Follow sensible hygiene routines after working on your aquaria.
I have heard of cases of Salmonella associated with shipments of
fish from the tropics where the aquarium water was suspected to
be the source of infection.
Don't allow anything like this to compromise the well-being of your
fish though.
Under normal conditions I believe a mouthful of tank water a day is
one of the great elixirs of life and should be relished (don't take me
seriously on this I can't afford to be sued!).

Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE
01204 332200