Crenuchus as dithers

I think a lot of cichlids (not just DCs) are threatened by Crenuchus spilurus, even large pike cichlids.  I kept Crenuchus with a pike, Crenicichla proteus (8-10 inches max). Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote on Crenicichla proteus:

"I also had a few micropredators in the tank - the characin Crenuchus spilurus.  These are not ideal inhabitants of Pike cichlid tanks, since they are only about 2-3 inches in length.  These characins had been in the tank prior to the introduction of the Pikes, so there they stayed.  These tetras are largely immobile, ambush predators of small fish and insects.  They were only slightly larger than the Black Neon Tetras that were in the tank and would have made a convenient mouthful for any of the Pikes in the tank, but the Pikes did not eat any of the Crenuchus!  After the Pikes paired up, they began instead, to harass the Crenuchus like they did the other cichlids in the tank."

"Even after all the Black Neons were consumed, the Crenuchus remained uneaten. I eventually began scooping out thrashed and destroyed Crenuchus out of the water.  The Pikes were killing, rather than eating these small tetras.  I'll never know why this happened but my thoughts are that these Pikes instinctively recognized the anatomy of this tetra as belonging to a potential predator of their offspring - Crenuchus and C. proteus are found together in Peru.  Could it be because Crenuchus vaguely resembles a dwarf cichlid?  After all, it does not possess the generalized characoid shape of say, an Astyanax.  Gery (1977) reports that this tetra spawns on surfaces of leaves, much like cichlids.  I realize such anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything concrete but it sure reminds me why I love cichlids. "

Here's a link to the rest of the article:
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/art-twopikes.html

Vinny

Pete wrote:
With Crenuchus being crevice-spawners with a display posture
which a cichlid may view as a challenge, it occurs to me that this
may have been over territory as much as anything, or alternatively
the Dicrossus may recognise the Crenuchus as potential fry
predators, although in spite of the impressive mouth of the males
they are nothing like as bad as you might expect.
As an aside, make sure you keep oxygen levels at an optimum for
the Loricariid (poss. Lasiancistrus or Dolichancistrus). The
'flattened Plecs' are all a bit touchy on this point.
Pete Liptrot