Re: melafix

on 6/16/00 8:15 PM, Stuart Hall at sturob@swbell.net wrote:

> Chad Attlesey wrote:
>
>> You can also go to http://www.petopia.com/ and do a search for Melafix.  Try
>> it, it is good stuff.  I used it to treat torn fins and infection with great
>> success.  I like it because it is a natural antibiotic and seems to greatly
>> accelerate fin repair and minimize/eliminate permanent damage.  Unlike other
>> medications, it doesn't seem to have any side effects or stress the fish
>> being treated.  It isn't snake oil.  No, I don't own stock in the company
>> either....
>
> I want to make a quick comment here because Chad brings up an important point
> which happens to be a favorite topic of mine.
>
> Don't be fooled into thinking something is better in any way, shape, or form
> just
> because it's "natural."  Without being particularly facetious, I can bring up
> that
> digitalis comes from the plant foxglove, and that atropine comes from deadly
> nightshade.  Aspirin first came from willow bark.  I can understand the
> motivation
> behind trying to buy natural products, but I have reservations about using tea
> tree oil in a fish tank.
>
> My reasoning is this: tea tree oil is an effective, NONSPECIFIC bactericide;
> in
> other words, it kills bacteria indiscriminately.  Including, potentially, the
> biological filter.  I've read that people have used it to treat Hexamita spp.
> infections.  Sure, it might work, but so does metronidazole, and metronidazole
> does not hurt the biological filter.  Also, it's not generally recommended
> that
> tea tree oil be taken internally.  Who knows what the toxic dose would be for
> fish, anyway?
>
> If you have a stubborn infection and you can properly isolate your ill fish in
> treatment tank, then it might not be a bad idea to use something
> broad-spectrum
> like tea tree oil.  It may or may not have side-effects; certainly anecdotal
> evidence that it doesn't speaks well for it, but by no means do we have a
> significant sample.  Bear in mind that "natural" doesn't equal "safe" or
> "better."
>
> Stuart
>
> (Oh, I don't know, I guess it just pushed one of my buttons.)

Just some quick comments here.  The reason I switched out of lurk mode to
reply to the Melafix issue is because I have had success with it where
other, more 'traditional' remedies have failed.

Some of you may remember the black plague (I am still not sure what is was
specifically) that wiped out almost all of my rams and panduros very
quickly.  I use separate nets for my quarantine tanks now, BTW.  Taking the
advice of more experienced list members, I systematically tried the more
traditional medications with no effect.  As a last ditch effort I tried
Melafix.  Within a day the remaining fish showed considerable improvement
and there were no more deaths.

Since then, I have used it on a 55 gallon tank of Africans that suffered
some abuse during and after the time we moved to a new house.  I didn't see
any side effects on this or the other applications.  Yes, it is true that
fish will typically regenerate damaged fins on their own.  However, I had a
few fish with serious injuries due to fighting over totally new
territories/surroundings.  Two of them risked having stumps instead of fins.
With Melafix, the fins totally regenerated.  To  me it analogous to what
happens if you get a cut.  Sure, it will most likely heal on its own.
However, there is a chance that it may get infected and/or create a
permanent scar.  If you use some antibiotic ointment and a bandage, the cut
will heal much faster and be much less likely to scar.

I don't recommend the product to others because it is a 'natural'.  I like
it because it has worked for me.  The manufacturer claims to have done
extensive research and testing on this product, proving it to be effective.
I don't take those claims (or anyone's) at face value.  However, my
experience has been in line with their claims.  The idea that it is a
natural derivative versus an unnatural chemical pharmaceutical, to me, IMHO,
is an added bonus.

- Chad