Re: Opal borellii... or NOT... not!!!

Acutally think I know exactly what this fish is
it looks like a borelli and is sold as one all the time
I have some pictures on my site
and Mike Wise ID'ed it for it
he said
Apistogramma caetei 'bluehead'

http://members.home.net/rwmw/ahongsloi.htm

here's what he said in an e=mail to me

It is your unknown fish. This is a fish I haven't personally seen except in
pictures. I am pretty sure that it is a fish that the Germans call Blaukopf
(Bluehead) in Mayland & Bork's book or Steel Blue in Römer's Atlas,  and the
Japanese (Matuzaka, et. al.) call it New Blue. This is a domestically
developed fish, originally coming from SE Asia. Mayland & Bork believe it is
part of the caetei-complex, while Römer believes it is a member of the
resticulosa-complex. The fish shows more features of resticulosa-complex
fish, but the head profile and tail pattern are more like caetei. Matuzaka
believes that it is a cross between species of the two complexes. Who is
correct?  I don't know. The fish shows none of the irregular scale pattern
in the caudal peduncle area that most cross-bred apistos show, but the
highly skewed sex ratio points at something not being quite natural. Mayland
& Bork mention that the species was established in Europe only by breeding
domestic males with wild females. Where they got the wild females and how
they knew they were the same species is beyond me. I bet that they used a
caetei-complex female (who knows what species). This is bad husbandry if you
want to keep a species pure. It's OK if you are fixing a color pattern, like
in certain livebearers, but such fish should never be listed under a
scientific name. If you like the fish and want to breed it, I'd suggest
finding a female A. caetei and see what develops. Who knows, if crossed with
a "Primavera" color form of A. caetei you might get males with both a lot of
blue and red on the face!

Thank You
Raymond Wong