Re: Will Plecos eat apisto eggs?

> I felt the need for some algae help, and decided to get some dwarf
> plecos. I was assured by a friend of mine (that has been breeding
> apistos for years) that bushnose plecos do not eat apisto eggs (at least
> not in his tanks). I couldn't find any so I bought a different type.
> They are pekoltia vittata (AKA Candy Striped Plecos). I have one in with
> a pair of vejitas, and was considering putting the other in a community
> tank that contains some agassizzi. I was wondering if any of you know
> anything about this species? They have done a great job on my algae, and
> they seem to like zuccini quite a bit as well as romaine lettuce and
> spinach. But I wondered if they would eat any eggs the apistos might
> produce? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, They would eat the eggs, if given the opportunity. What I would
do is have a Pleco around in my community tank, and from time to time
introduce this to the breeding tank(s) for a day or two (I would
time it just after removing the fry from the parents, just before
their next spawning)  just enough time for it to clean up the tank,
then transfer him back or to another breeding tank to do his job.

mac
orion@tri-isys.com
Phillipines